This past week I was blessed with an opportunity to go to Sydney Australia for the Hillsong Conference! All I can say is… 2 thumbs! Such a great conference! Amongst the awesome general sessions I was part of the Church Planting elective. The one that spoke to me the most was the one where 3 church planters (Hillsong Paris, Hillsong Stolckholm, Hillsong Moscow) shared their “What I would change or What I wouldn’t do again?” in their journey.
Here are some notes that I took down that I wanted to share with you all:
Brendon White: Hillsong Paris
- Model an excellent church right in the beginning
- Connect groups first
- Early Days buy a simple sound system, not large and complicated
- Go slow bringing people into leadership roles. Build out of Character and not need.
- Start things you can sustain. Keep it simple and wait for the right people.
- If you need a translator then must be together, same page.
- Don’t get caught up in church events. Don’t forget about people. Balance service and community.
- Select Volunteers. Don’t allow them to get caught up in the building and forget to flourish in the world.
- You can’t fix everyone’s problems.
- Don’t criticize culture. Build people, culture, country up! Speak life!
- Make sure worship team comes from community and not gig mentality.
- Learn the language
- Build checklists, runs of the day, be organized
- Keep a good rhythm in peoples lives. Set expectations
- Sit down with individuals and see their capacity of helping. Its not about hours but on capacity.
- Create stepping blocks
- Relationships are important!
- Don’t be discouraged when people leave. They will leave. They may be just scaffolding people.
Andreas – Hillsong Stockholm
- There is a difference between burden and calling.
- Make sure you are sent out.
- Ask people their opinions about your dreams
- Dream with your team
- It doesn’t just show up… be patient
- From Day 1… lead people to Christ. It’s all about people. As a pastor bring new people all the time
- Look to what you have and your own strengths
- In the beginning you set the decisions with your call but get people’s opinions
- Spend money on the life, people, fun side, buzz, of the church and not just offices at first.
- Baptize quickly
Zhenya – Hillsong Moscow
- There is always a cost of planting. Sacrificial
- Spend more time on your team
- Develop more teams
- Talk to more people in the plant area
- Keep it in the language
- Stay Positive!! However you approach your city that is how the city will treat you
- Don’t put unneeded pressure on yourself and your family. Don’t put a # bar on your ministry. Just do God’s call!
- (During the QA I asked Zhenya how long did it take to create a local core team) 3 years to build full local team! Jesus took 3 years to build his core!
Hope you were blessed!